NCA Products Directory
Information for Manufacturers / Vendors
August 1, 2012
National Center on Accessibility
National Center on Accessibility, Indiana University-Bloomington
What is the NCA Products Directory?
The purpose of the NCA Products Directory is to provide information for:
- governmental and private organizations to make their park, recreation, or tourism programs, services, and activities accessible to people with disabilities.
- people with disabilities to access park, recreation, or tourism programs, services, or activities presented by governmental and private organizations.
The NCA Products Directory provides information regarding products and services available from domestic and international sources. The listing of a product and/or service does not guarantee its accessibility, usability, or appropriateness for a specific application. It is important that the buyer verify design specifications of the product/service and compare the product/service with the applicable accessibility guidelines.
The public should note that NCA does not sell, promote, or endorse any product, service, or vendor listed in our Products Directory. Nor does NCA assume any responsibility or liability related to the accessibility, usability, or application of the products, services, and vendors listed.
What are the criteria for listing in the NCA Products Directory?
The public should note that NCA does not sell, promote, or endorse any product, service, or vendor listed in our Products Directory. Nor does NCA assume any responsibility or liability related to the products, services, and vendors listed. The Products Directory is designed for informational purposes only.
- Products and services must reflect a use in a park, recreation, or tourism setting. NCA will not include products and services common to the building trades industry, activities for daily living, and general assistive technology. Nor will NCA include any design firms.
- Products and services must encourage independent and dignified use.
- Products and services are encouraged to utilize the principles of universal design, promote best practices for enhancing accessibility, and meet existing applicable federal accessibility guidelines/standards. Products and services must not fundamentally alter the nature of the program, service, or activity.
- Products and services’ names and descriptions must reflect people-first terminology. Names and descriptions using the term “handicap” or “handicapped” will not be accepted, as these terms have a negative connotation when referring to people with disabilities. NCA reserves the right to deny any listing if language and/or terminology is deemed offensive or inappropriate.
- References to “ADA approved” will not be accepted as there is no such agency that certifies products or issues approval under the Americans with Disabilities Act. If a product or service is cited as “ADA compliant”, the vendor should provide supporting documentation regarding how the product or service complies with the ADA.
- Vendors must return a completed Products Directory Request Form, permission to list letter, properly sized jpeg images, and supplemental materials to the NCA office. Reviews will begin when NCA receives all required information. Vendors who list a product or service agree to have their product reviewed by consumers.
- Vendors with multiple models of the same product type (picnic tables, benches, etc) will be listed under a general product description and not individually.
- Whenever possible the product manufacturer will be listed as the vendor in order to avoid listing multiple vendors for one product.
- NCA reserves the right to deny listing any product, service, or vendor at its discretion.
How do I get my product or service listed?
It’s easy. Contact us at email@example.com to request a Products Directory Request Form, available in both electronic and paper versions. NCA staff will review your request when we receive the completed form and supplemental material in our office. No incomplete forms will be reviewed. You will be notified of our review decision within 30 business days. If accepted, your product or service will be added to the Products Directory. Vendors who list a product or service agree to have their product reviewed by consumers.
Vendors should note that NCA does not sell, promote, or endorse any product, service, or vendor listed in our Products Directory. Nor does NCA assume any responsibility or liability related to the products, services, and vendors listed. The Products Directory is designed for informational purposes only.
What should I ask when purchasing a product?
Buyers have the responsibility of determining what product will work best for their situation and should ask several questions before purchasing. When choosing a product and/or service, buyers should:
- identify the needs of the facility and/or person with a disability. What product or service will create an accessible environment?
- check the design specifications. Does the product or service meet all applicable accessibility guidelines and/or standards?
- check references. Reputable companies will have no problem supplying potential customers with references.
- beware of “ADA approved” products and services. There is no organization or governmental body that has the authority to give “ADA approval” for any product or service.
- look for products and services that promote person first terminology, i.e. a person with a disability. Companies that use outdated terminology such as handicapped or physically challenged may not be developing products and services using the most up-to-date information.
- choose products and services that promote independent and dignified use by the person with a disability. Your dollar has power!
How do I review a product or service listed in the Products Directory?
NCA is looking to help our Products Directory users locate products or services that best match their needs. If you are a person with a disability or a business that has purchased a product or service listed in our directory, you can share your information with others. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how.